Why I Love my Job as a Publisher


I have the greatest job in the world. As President and Publisher of Historic Hospitality Publishing, I have the privilege of calling on many of the top resorts, spas, inns, and historic hotels in the country. These trips take me from coast to coast on a fairly regular basis, and if you are a regular traveler like me, I hope you will be able to gain a little insight from my posts.

Visiting the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa

One of my recent trips took me to Ojai, California, a charming little town of 4,000 that is located north of LA. It is very artsy and quaint, but my real reason for visiting Ojai was the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa. I made my last trip there in 2000 when my oldest son had his wedding reception at the Inn. Little did I know then that twelve years later, I would be working with them to produce a beautiful, custom book celebrating the history and amenities of this wonderful resort. 

I can honestly say that this is a place that I would gladly call home if they would let me live there. Unfortunately, they didn’t offer, probably for the sake of their image and my budget. The setting is spectacular, and the mountains almost surround you. The name Ojai in the Native American language of the Chumash Indians means “nest” and since the town in nestled in one of the few East/West valleys in the US, 
you can see the reasoning behind the name. 

During my four days at the resort, I didn’t catch one glimpse of a cloud. This was perfect weather for watching what’s known as the “pink moment.” At this particular time during sunset, the rocks on the mountainside turn pink for just a few minutes. It is breathtaking! The resort even has a drink named the Pink Moment. 

Golfing and More at Ojai

Most of the rooms look out on the golf course, which is one of the most beautiful I’ve ever come across. At the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa, it all really started with golf. Edward Libbey built the golf course in 1923 as a private country club and retreat for his friends from the East. He wanted it to feel as if they were at their own private estate. 

In the 1940’s, the resort was used by the Army as a training center for soldiers leaving for the war. It later became Hollywood’s playground with regular guests like Bob Hope, Ronald Reagan, Clark Gable, Judy Garland, and others. 

I was so impressed with the attention to detail of all the staff members, whether at the front desk, in the restaurants, at the pro shop, or at the spa. They are even taught in the restaurant to use the guests name at least three times during the meal. The food at the Inn is fabulous, as is the golf course, the tennis courts, and the spa. A 5 Diamond Award by AAA certainly doesn’t come easily, but it is well deserved by the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa. I would recommend it to anyone. 

Tell Me About It

Have you ever visited the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa? If so, tell me what you liked about it! Where is your favorite place to relax and luxuriate? Let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment